Monday, June 6, 2011

Recyled Quilts, Wrack Line X: Winter Tides

Wrack Line X: Winter Tides
 I'm expanding the color palette on my Wrack Line series a bit.  This quilt began as a Talbot's silk dupioni dress from Value Village in Takoma Park MD (best thrift store ever!) back in August 2010.  Where else could I get a yard and a half or so of silk dupioni for $3.98?  So I bought it.  It was in my size, but the style wasn't quite me.  I tried it on first, didn't like it, and then I began to cut it apart.

 I knew I wouldn't have enough silk, especially if I saved some for the quilt top, so I decided to make yo-yos out of the lining as well.  Since the lining was just a little darker and not as shiny, this added a nice contrast.

I had some cream dupioni sitting around to make other yo-yos with, but I decided to try a double layer back.  I can't remember where I saw this technique of framing the quilt, but I thought it might work to make the ice colored yo-yos pop.  It was a little bland with just the blue and white, but in a cleaning spree, I found some orange silk to add some contrast.

I pillow-cased the two silk quilt layers and quilted the larger one with a walking foot in a wave pattern (even dupioni is terribly slippery).  The cream layer is sewed down only by the stitiching of the yo-yos.  I'll add French knots when I find the right color thread.

 Even though this photo is awful, this quilt and two others in the series have been juried into the Aullwood Show "Water, Water Everywhere." 

3 comments:

jafabrit said...

How beautiful, and I am thinking not just visually but to touch too. Congratulations on the show :)

oooh, and don't ya LOVE charity shops for bargains, and you sure got one with that silk.

KittyKwilter said...

Lori, I love this one!!

Lori Gravley said...

Thank you both. I'll post soon on the long black silk dupioni skirt I just got at Goodwill. Who needs to pay 40 a yard for the good stuff when people donate clothes to charities.